It’s nearing the end of November, and the rains have started in California. Given all the troubles we’ve had this month with fires, I’m glad for the rain but I hope it doesn’t cause too many more problems. (Flash floods or mudslides in the burned areas, or other trouble for the people who have lost everything due to the fire, or trouble for the firefighters still working on getting everything under control.)
We just celebrated Thanksgiving here in the US, and though I didn’t post about it separately, I am very grateful for all the people doing good work. Disasters are horrible things, but they do spotlight the good in many people. I am trying to focus on that, because otherwise it is too easy to get bitter and jaded and that is not how I want to live my life.
Anyway… on to the monthly update!
November 2018 Status:
As is usual in months where I post my monthly summary before the actual end of the month, anything finished in October that wasn’t on my October update will have a * at the end of the entry to distinguish it.
Knitting projects finished:
- Cupcake Mitts
- Honeydukes Hat #1
- Honeydukes Hat #2
WIPs indicated with a ‡ are currently hibernating while I try to get other items finished.
- ‡ 2016 GAL Blanket (current square: Studio Ghibli)
- 2018 GAL Blanket (current square: Stargate)
- ‡ Nessie Expedition socks MKAL
- ‡ Don’t Cage Me In socks
- ‡ Trekking XXL Vanilla is the New Black socks
- ‡ Close to You shawl
- ‡ Dryad Hat
- Quantonium 40 socks
Note: not all of the “books read” are actually books. Several are short stories or novellas, because I have been reading selected stories out of Nebula or Hugo Award compilations. Since I didn’t read the book as a whole, it didn’t feel right to record it as the entire book.
- Westward Weird edited by Martin Greenberg (e-book, short stories, new) *
- “If You Were a Dinosaur, My Love” by Rachel Swirsky (digital short story, new) *
- “Alive, Alive Oh” by Sylvia Spruck Wrigley (digital short story, new) *
- “The Waiting Stars” by Aliette de Bodard (digital novelette, new) *
- “The Weight of the Sunrise” by Vylar Kaftan (digital novella, new) *
- “Time Considered as a Helix of Semi-Precious Stones” by Samuel R. Delaney (digital short story, new) *
- “The Paper Menagerie” by Ken Liu (digital short story, new) *
- Space Opera by Catherynne M. Valente (paper, new, DNF @ 16%)
- A Day in the Life of Marlon Bundo by Jill Twiss, illustrated by E.G. Keller (paper, new)
- “Jackalope Wives” by Ursula Vernon (paper short story, new)
- “A Guide to the Fruits of Hawai’i” by Alaya Dawn Johnson (paper novelette, new)
Space Opera (DNF @ 16%)
I love the concept — Eurovision in Space! Yes please! — but the writing style made this a no-go for me. It had a lot of fun one-liners, but was too constantly tongue-in-cheek. By 16% of the way into the book I guessed who the character that I was supposed to be rooting for was going to be, but I couldn’t care less about him. Maybe it will get better and if I’d stuck with it maybe I would have ended up loving it, but I don’t have to time right now to read a “maybe” book. Oh well.
A Day in the Life of Marlon Bundo
I bought this book for the parody aspect and the charity drive associated with it. However, when I read it, I discovered that it’s also a sweet book with great art and an important message. Yes, I enjoy it more because of the parody. But you could read this without knowing any of the background about why the book was published and still completely enjoy it, and still get a great message out of it.
Books in progress:
- The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. by Neal Stephenson and Nicole Galland (audio, new, 5%)
- The Best of Connie Willis (e-book, short stories, new, 82%)
- American Gods by Neil Gaiman (paper, new, 233/592)
- Measure for Measure by William Shakespeare (paper, new, 17/211)
While the rest of this status update has been for the current month only, this is my year-long progress on all of my reading challenges.
- Books read: 70/70
- Shakespeare plays: 4/10
- Percent new books: 84.29%
- Bucket List Books: 21
- Backlist Reader Challenge: 30/40
- Book reviews posted: 34
- DNF reads: 6