Ten Favorite Book Quotes
Oh man. So many good book quotes and I’m sure I’ll forget some of my favorites. Here are the ones I can think of to look for off the top of my head. This reinforces the idea, though, that I need to re-star my habit of keeping a notebook of favorite quotes — I used to do that, and got out of the habit, but I miss it.
- The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry ~ “And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.”
- Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher ~ “Sometimes you can only find Heaven by slowly backing away from Hell.”
- Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire ~ “We notice the silence of men. We depend upon the silence of women.”
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling ~ “It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”
- The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien ~ “There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something. You certainly usually find something, if you look, but it is not always quite the something you were after.”
- Sorcery & Cecelia by Patricia C. Wrede & Caroline Stevermer ~ “How dreadful…to be caught up in a game and have no idea of the rules.”
- The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry ~ “Well, I must endure the presence of a few caterpillars if I wish to become acquainted with the butterflies.”
- Bellwether by Connie Willis ~ “Don’t they know science doesn’t work like that? You can’t just order scientific breakthroughs. They happen when you are looking at something you’ve been working on for years and suddenly see a connection you never noticed before, or when you’re looking for something else altogether. Sometimes they even happen by accident. Don’t they know you can’t get a scientific breakthrough just because you want one?”
- Smoke and Shadows by Tanya Huff ~ “Better the comfort of a lie than the absurdity of the truth.”
- The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster ~ “So many things are possible just as long as you don’t know they’re impossible.”
And a bonus quote that is just funny and not really any deeper than that. (I tried to make my official ten quotes have some meaning to them, but I couldn’t resist including this one.)
When Rome burned, the emperor’s cats still expected to be fed on time.
~ Seanan McGuire, Rosemary & Rue