Happy Top Ten Tuesday! This week has a bit of an open-ended theme:
Ten Books I Struggled to Get Into But Ended Up Loving or Ten Books That Were A Chore To Get Through or Ten Books I’ve Most Recently Put Down (the theme is…books you had a hard time with…tweak it how ever you need)
Heh. There are definitely books I’ve had a hard time with. I can’t think of many that I struggled with and ended up loving, and generally if they’re a chore to get through these days I DNF them instead of continuing. (That’s one of the benefits of not being a student anymore. I don’t feel obligated to finish books I don’t like.) So, I’m going to go with:
The Ten Books I’ve Most Recently Put Down
Side note: I love the double meaning of “put down” there. Too bad I can’t take credit for it.
- Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne
- Nozy Cat #1 by Lyn Key
- Fablehaven by Brandon Mull
- All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot (though this one I might pick back up out of hibernation)
- The Mermaid’s Sister by Carrie Ann Noble
- The Magicians by Lev Grossman
- Dualed by Elsie Chapman
- As You Wish by Cary Elwes
- The Cricket on the Hearth by Charles Dickens
- Off to Be the Wizard by Scott Meyer (This one might have been a DNF due to the narration, I’m not sure. I may pick up a paper copy one of these days.)
Interestingly, that covered 3+ years of books. Either I haven’t recorded all my DNFs or I’ve done a pretty decent job of picking books I like recently.
What about you? Do you DNF books you don’t like, or do you push through and finish them?