Sorry for the blog silence last week. Last week’s 10 on Tuesday prompt didn’t spark any creativity in me, so I didn’t end up writing it, and then I got busy with other things and just didn’t make it to the blog. But this week’s 10 on Tuesday prompt is one that I really like, so here goes!
The Ten On Tuesday prompt for Tuesday, May 24, 2016 is 10 Favorite Desserts. I can’t believe we haven’t done this before but I checked and double checked and couldn’t find it. If we have please don’t tell me and just do it again!
Yum! This is my kind of prompt. Here are ten of my favorite desserts in the order in which I think of them. I’m not playing favorites today!
- Port Wine Brownies! AKA brownies (from a box mix) made with port wine substituted for the water. You add a little more wine than the recipe calls for water, because it evaporates differently. But they are so good! And of course, it’s best when you can then drink the remaining wine while eating the brownies.
- Tiramisu. A good standard.
- Cheesecake Factory Cheesecakes. I can’t pick just one flavor; so many of them are good. My current favorites are the Dulce de Leche, Pecan Turtle, and Tiramisu cheesecakes.
- Ice Cream! Again, I can’t pick just one flavor. But I do love most of the cherry ice creams (such as Ben & Jerry’s Cherry Garcia), the mint chip varieties, and a good fudge swirl ice cream. The problem with the fudge swirl varieties, though, is finding one that is actual fudge making up the swirl, rather than fudge-flavored ice cream.
- Strawberry Shortcake!! I love this. It’s one of my three favorite summer desserts, because the strawberries need to be fresh.
- Strawberry Tarts and Pies! This is the second of my three favorite summer desserts. I used to live across the street from a Nation’s Burgers, and I would wait anxiously for them to start offering their strawberry tarts. (Speaking of, it’s about that time again…)
- Peach or Apricot Cobbler!! The third of my three favorite summer desserts (but which one I like best varies day to day). We have a family recipe which is a good (IMO) blend of sweet and tart, especially when made with apricots. (The peach version is a bit sweeter and less tart, as you would expect from peaches.)
- Yellow Cake with Chocolate Frosting. This has been my birthday cake of choice ever since I can remember. I just adore it, which is why I keep neither the cake mix nor the frosting in my pantry. I’d be too tempted.
- Jian Dui – known to most Americans as sesame seed balls. These are a favorite Chinese dessert often served with dim sum.
- Nian Gao Another Chinese dessert, this one specifically made for lunar new year. (Though, since I know the recipe, I can make it any time I want.) It’s essentially brown sugar and water, with a bit of rice flour for consistency. Very sweet, very sticky, and very good – if you’re used to these kinds of flavors. It can be an acquired taste, though.
Have a great rest of the week! I hope there’s a yummy dessert in store for you this week.