The Ten On Tuesday prompt for Tuesday, March 15, 2016 is 10 Favorite Comfort Foods.
Well, this should be a fun one. I love comfort foods!
- Baked potatoes. With all the trimmings. Yum!
- Soup. Pretty much any kind.
- Shepherd’s pie! Though I usually make the cottager’s pie version, since I have easier access to ground beef than ground lamb.
- Freshly baked bread. Many kinds, though especially a good honey wheat bread.
- Toast. Probably at least in part because this was a staple sick food when I was young.
- Potatoes Romanov. Why yes, potatoes do feature heavily on this list. What of it?
- Rice with butter. Rice makes a great addition to any meal, but plain white rice with butter is the comfort food version.
- Stew. With carrots and potatoes. Lots of carrots and potatoes.
- Cherry ice cream. When I need a hot-weather comfort food. Or an “I’m really depressed so I’m going to eat the whole pint of ice cream at once” comfort food.
- Tom Ramen. Yes, it’s a soup, but it’s also its own thing. When I was in school, we used to bring the ramen packages as snacks, and eat them dry. (You crunch up the noodles and dip them in the sauce packet. Sometimes, if you weren’t sharing with anyone, you’d lick the noodles first so more of the dry sauce mixture would stick.) I’m sure it wasn’t good for us, and I doubt that kids in areas with a smaller Asian population did this, but it’s something I remember as a happy moment from my childhood. I no longer eat ramen dry, but cooking it still brings back the memories.
And now I think I want potatoes. Good thing I’m planning on cooking them with my corned beef later this week!