Today’s FO post is something that I was asked to make a long time ago, and have only just gotten finished. (To be fair to me, I only started it a little while ago, too. I was procrastinating the knitting of it, but once I started working on it I kept working on it with only one stumbling block. I’ll get to that later.)
This is the finished picture of a Kraken from Hansi Singh’s book “Amigurumi Knits: Patterns for 20 Cute Mini Knits.” My brother-in-law, for some reason, really likes the kraken, so this was a knitted toy that he truly wanted. (It might have something to do with liking Kraken spiced rum…)
At any rate, I started working on the toy (here’s a link to my Ravelry project page), and per the book’s suggestions, I put pipe cleaners in the legs when I stuffed them in order to make the toy pose-able. It worked really well as far as the posing aspect went. However, this made assembling all the legs REALLY DIFFICULT when I got to that stage.
But, I soldiered on, and fought the legs into submission, and off I went knitting the body. That part went smoothly enough. Then next hard part was knitting the fins at the top of the kraken. Getting all of the stitches picked up was a pain, as were the first couple of rows. After that it was simpler again, though.
And then… then I came to the part where I stalled out. The eyes. From what I had seen on Ravelry, several people used other options for the eyes than what is called for – felt, or embroidery, or other crochet/knitting options. Other people complained that they couldn’t get the eyes right as written. So, I was unsure what I wanted to do for the eyes. And the project sat in my OTN knitting bag, and waited. And waited. And December came along, and still I waited.
Finally, on the day before Christmas Eve, I decided I was going to trust the designer and knit the eyes as written. And they were no problem at all. I had them both finished and sewn on in a matter of a few hours, and the kraken was given his bottle of rum (this was the main reason I wanted pipe cleaners in the arms, so he could hold on to the bottle) and wrapped up for a Christmas gift.
I’m really pleased with how this turned out. I’m also really happy that I decided to cut back on the hand-made presents this year – even some of the ones I had started ended up getting put in my “make later” bag. It made my Christmas so much more relaxed and happy that I am glad I made that decision. However, I’m also really glad that I finished this little guy. He was a big hit.