This is a baby sweater that has been in the works a lot longer than it needed to be (see last week’s WIP Weds for that), but it’s finished now and on its way to the baby-to-be. I made it in white even though we knew it was going to be a baby girl, because… you know. Babies and surprises.
When it neared birth-time and was still a girl, however, I bought sweet pink flower buttons. I think this makes it look sweeter than a pink sweater would have, anyway.
To be honest, this sweater was originally going to be a baby blanket. I’d started the blanket and was part-way through when I realized that not only were my crochet skills a bit rusty, but my tension was waaaay off and there was no way this blanket was going to look decent without a good blocking. And I was using acrylic yarn. So the blocking wouldn’t do a lick of good.
And lo, a sweater was born.
Actually, it’s weird for me to be using acrylic. I don’t like the stuff, typically. But it does have its uses, such as things that I’ll have no control over how it’s washed. And modern acrylic isn’t at all like the stuff I used as a baby knitter. Much nicer yarn. (I know. It’s still not merino.)
All told, though, I am very pleased with how this sweater turned out. I just wish that I’d finished it sooner instead of procrastinating so long. Then I might have decided to knit matching booties or a hat or something. (No time now, though.)
PATTERN: Lillie Baby Cardigan
DESIGNER: Laura Edwards
YARN: Bernat Softee Baby Solids & Marls
NEEDLE: US 8
START / END DATES: 2 February 2014 – 10 June 2014
MODS: I used a thinner weight yarn than called for, so I held it double and increased the cast-on to 56. (I did not adjust the sleeve size from the pattern. It looked like it would be a normal baby arm size. Here’s hoping I was right.)