Today’s Ten on Tuesday prompt is “10 Things You Want to Try”. The prompt goes on to specify that “it could be foods, hobbies, travels – the sky is the limit on this one!” So this really can be all over the place. Let’s see where it takes me today!
1. I want to try cooking a “proper” curry. I have one curry recipe I like, and I’ve played with adding different amounts and blends of curry, but I want to try making – for instance – a real vindaloo instead of just my standard curry recipe with vindaloo spices instead of sweet curry powder.
2. I want to try writing for a living. Of course, there are stumbling blocks to this if I also want to quit my day job. Stumbling block #1 is the debt that I built up during my divorce. But maybe I can figure out how to start the process of writing for a living before I do it full time.
3. I want to try making crème brûlée. Partly because it involves cooking with a blowtorch.
4. I want to try riding California Screamin’ at Disney California Adventure. It’s one of the handful of attractions in the Disneyland Resort parks that I haven’t done yet. (It might be the last. I think I need to recount.) And I want to try it to see if I like that launch system better than the traditional roller coasters which go up the lift hill agonizingly slowly. (My least favorite part of a coaster is anticipating the Big Drop.) The main reason I haven’t yet is because I have vertigo issues sometimes, and I don’t want to end up dizzy and miserable at my Happy Place. I’m afraid of the loop causing issues. But… someday…
5. I want to try playing the hammered dulcimer. It looks neat. But there are a lot of strings to tune and the instrument isn’t cheap, so this may never happen. It’s still on my wish list of eventual things to try, though.
6. I want to try making beignets. Which involves borrowing my sister’s deep fryer, since I don’t have one and it seems much easier than boiling oil for frying in a pan. And this may not be a great idea, because I love them and will EAT THEM ALL if I let myself. Not good for the waistband.
7. I want to try to find some friends near my house. Currently all of my friends are 20-30 minutes away at the closest. Many are even farther than that. And while I enjoy the company of my current friends, I don’t like the logistics of trying to figure out when we’ll get together. Even meeting up “just for coffee” takes planning these days, and I don’t like that. I miss random “are you doing anything right now?” meet-ups.
8. I want to try to get better at yoga. I’m in the process of doing this, but it’s still a work in progress. Right now I just do what the instructor says. I’d like to get to the point where I really know what I’m doing, and where I can put together my own routine (is it called a routine?) and practice at home without worrying about doing it wrong.
9. I want to try to get to every Disney property worldwide. (This includes sailing on each of the cruise ships.) So far I’ve been to both Disneyland and Walt Disney World, and have sailed on the Disney Fantasy. We’re working on the rest of it, though I suspect we’ll need to stop making frequent trips to Florida in order to afford a trip to any of the international parks. A visit to Aulani will probably happen before anything that isn’t stateside.
10. I want to try needle felting animals. (No, not felting live animals. I mean making felted versions of animals out of wool and wire.) There are some adorable critters out there which people have made with needle felting, and I plan to try my hand at them, too.