Today’s Finished Object blog post will feature the Starflower Socks!
These were a fun knit, and I’m glad I used this pattern for this yarn. It’s Lorna’s Laces Shepherd Sock, and when I’ve used this yarn in the past, it has striped incredibly. The problem is, it’s been a short color repeat, and so the stripes were very thin and made my eyes go wonky when I looked at them for too long. So for this yarn (Black Purl colorway) breaking up the stripes in some way seemed like a good idea. Based on what the bottom of the foot looks like, I think I made a good choice.
The way the pattern ended up looking like smocking amused me to no end. I had fun watching the different colors blend when I did the cross-over rows. There is still some striping/pooling, but the pattern broke it up enough that I’m quite happy with the result.
I also used a new-to-me heel: Miriam Felton’s “Better Fitting Toe Up Heel Flap.” It seems to fit me pretty well, too, though as she mentions in her post detailing the construction, your mileage may vary based on your foot shape.
These socks make me smile. The pattern does pull in a little, as with any design of this kind. It makes the fabric a little dense and not as stretchy as some, but it still fits me fine. Also, I highly recommend knitting these without the use of a cable needle, because if you do use a cable needle it will take a lot of time transferring all the stitches. Just use pointy needles to knit with, and you should be fine.
MODS: I used the heel mentioned above instead of the short-row heel called for in the pattern. Also, I ended with a 2×2 rib instead of a 1×1 as called for.