It’s Wednesday! And there has been knitting! (Lots and lots of knitting, but all on one project.)
Remember last week how I told you that there would be new socks? Well, here they are:
The pattern is Scylla, and the yarn is Blue Moon Fiber Arts Silkie Socks That Rock in Puck’s Mischief. I’m really enjoying the knit. Though, you may notice that I’m knitting these two at a time. And if you have been paying attention, you may have figured out that I almost never knit my socks two at a time. So why am I doing it this time? Well, let’s start with the first picture I took of these socks in progress:
I started them on a plane. (Cross-country trip to visit family. If you’re not family, that’s all the information you’re going to get about it. If you are family, you probably already know all about it.) But I hadn’t done a whole lot of prep-work before deciding to knit them. All I did was print the pattern, find the needles I wanted, and throw them in a project bag with a handful of stitch markers. Most of my notions got left behind.
And then I knit. And knit, and knit. A cross-country trip give you a lot of time for knitting. Here was my progress about 2/3 of the way through the trip:
And I started to panic. This yarn was given to me from a friend, and I knew she had wound the ball. I didn’t know if she had used any of the yarn. (I didn’t think so, but I had never asked so I wasn’t sure. My S’n’B gives each other remnants as well as whole skeins if we think the other person has a use for it.) At any rate, I realized that I hadn’t weighed the cake, and didn’t know how much yarn there was. I also hadn’t split the yarn cake into two that each contained half of the skein. And I was pulling from the outside of the ball, and the yarn was disappearing rather quickly.
So, I got the first sock to the point where I had about an inch above the heel flap, and started looking for something to put the stitches on so I could start the second sock and make sure I didn’t run out of yarn. I couldn’t find anything. So I cast off. But I left the sock attached, umbilical-cord-like, so that I could undo the cast-off and keep knitting if it turned out I had more yarn than I thought. Also, I hadn’t brought any scissors.
Then I started sock number two, knitting from the other loose tail. And I knit on that for a short while, and then we arrived. I did minimal knitting at our destination, and still thought I was going to have yarn problems. Then, when we were heading home and I started knitting again in earnest, I started to notice something. While the yarn pulled from the outside of the ball seemed to disappear into thin air, the yarn pulled from the inside of the ball seemed to be endless. I reached the heel, and still had plenty of yarn. I turned the heel, and got to the point where the first sock had been abandoned, and only slightly more yarn had been used.
At this point, I saw two options: keep knitting on sock #2, and guess at the true half-way point of the yarn, or pull sock #1 out of limbo and knit them at the same time so that I didn’t have to keep playing the guessing game I’d been doing when I was knitting on sock #1. I guess pitching the whole thing out the window in frustration would have been a fun option, but I don’t think the flight attendants would have been too happy with me for trying.
Needless to say, as you can see from the first picture, I went with option two. In theory, this way I can use up every last scrap of yarn without having to worry about the sock length matching. I’m not going to make any plans, though. I can already tell that these socks have a mind of their own.